1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees on the bake setting
2. Lay out the banana leaf on the tray and put the tomatoes on top in the center. Season the snapper with salt on both sides and place on top of the tomatoes. Sprinkle the curry powder on top of the fish. Top the fish with the garlic, shallot, ginger, lemongrass, and cilantro. Pour the coconut milk around the bottom of the tomato and fish.
3. Wrap the fish in the banana leaf and secure with skewer to keep it closed.
4. Bake in the oven at 450 degrees on the bake setting for about 10-12 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish. The fish is done when a skewer is inserted into the fish and when left in for 5 seconds, is warm when touched to the lip.
5. Remove from the oven. Transfer to a plate. Open the “papillote” on the plate and serve.
1ea 6 ounce filet of red snapper
1 tablespoon ginger, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
¼ stalk lemongrass, split in half
½ shallot, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon curry powder
½ tomato, cut in 1/8 inch slices
4 tablespoons coconut milk
4 leaves cilantro
1 banana leaf, trimmed to the size of the baking tray
Fine sea salt